The Fort Payne Improvement Authority (FPIA) is proud to be your public power provider. As such, we strive to provide the low cost and reliable power that our customers expect and deserve. In order to minimize outages and allow timely and effective power restoration when outages do occur it is necessary that we maintain proper clearances in and around the power line right-of-way (ROW).
The FPIA Application for Electric Service, Schedule of Rules and Regulations, and ROW Maintenance Policy clearly specify the requirements for access and clearance within the power line ROW. Below are a few specifics contained in these documents for your consideration:
- FPIA customers agree to allow authorized employees free access to premises for purposes of providing and maintaining electric service.
- FPIA has an obligation to maintain a 15-foot clearance around the power line, with no growth or overhang allowed inside a 30-foot corridor along the line.
- Trees and limbs that are inside of this clearance or have the potential to be within this clearance will be removed.
- The FPIA policy is specific to not planting trees and shrubs beneath lines, especially Bradford Pear trees or other fast-growing species.
- Structures, fences, gardens, ornamental plantings, etc. should not be located beneath powerlines where they interfere with access to the lines.
Additional information about our Rules and Regulations or ROW Policy are available at www.fpia.com.
FPIA appreciates the opportunity to serve you, and we take seriously our role as your public power provider. It is our desire to partner with you to keep your ROWs clear and improve the effectiveness and reliability of our service. Together our actions will work to improve the quality of life for everyone in Fort Payne and the surrounding community.
If you have any questions about the above information or other matters, please don’t hesitate to call our office at 256-845-0671.
Fort Payne Improvement Authority